Vivacity FAQs

Our CEO + Founder, Angela Connell, answers those frequently asked questions about the training industry, compliance, business, training and getting your training online

Get your training industry questions answered by an industry expert

Do you have a question?

Do you have a burning question about the training industry and/or RTO/CRICOS compliance?
Submit your questions here and we will get back to you with a solution.

General Questions


Why do I need to consult with industry?

Like any business, it is important to conduct research into your industry to identify the need of your market.  When designing a Training and Assessment Strategy, your auditor will expect to see that you have consulted with industry to ensure your organisation is meeting the current needs of your community and industry.  We suggest you survey clients,  industry experts, students, etc using our customised form.  It is also good practice to log any form of evidence showing you have spoken and enquired to stakeholders, clients etc.

What is Industry Consultation

Industry consultation is vital to ensuring your RTO is developing training that meets the needs of your clients. An RTO should speak with relevant industry bodies; industry skills councils, industry training advisory bodies, unions, licensing bodies and/or industry organisations to identify current practices. They should also speak with stakeholders by sending surveys, speaking directly to stakeholders, attending industry meetings,  to ensure that their training meets the needs of their clients.

Industry Consultation is then used to develop Training and Assessment Strategies.

What if I'm located interstate?

Not a problem, we have clients all over Australia.

How do I communicate with Vivacity?

When you engage Vivacity you are allocated your own Client Liaison Officer, who will contact you weekly via Phone, Email or Skype, we can also set up online meetings and you can communicate with us through our Facebook page.

When checking validity of student, are we required to sight a Photo ID or do we need to make a copy of the ID?

Just sighting the photo ID is fine and checking that the spelling on the ID matches the spelling on the Enrolment Form, you should also note on the Enrolment Form that you have sighted the ID.

Initial Registration


How long does it take to register an RTO?

The process can take between 6-12 months, which will be determined by how long it takes for you to complete the required documentation and the ASQA process. We always allow a minimum of 3 months and no more than 9 months.

Training Resources


Will I need a training room?

You do not necessarily need to have your own leased property, you can have an agreement in place to use another premises, this could be a Club or Room Hire company.

Do I need to purchase all my resources before the audit?

Yes, you will need to ensure that you have all your Training and Assessment Tools in place prior to your Audit, this includes text books, assessment tools, resources required to deliver your training (ie If you wanted to offer Aged Care training, you would need Walking Frames, Blood Pressure Machines, Urine Testing kits, Training Epi Pens, etc)

If I purchase resources, do I need to validate them?

Yes, even though the resources you purchased are from a publisher it does not mean they are compliant to ASQA standards or meet the needs of your learners.  For initial audit you are required to validation at least two units of competency for each qualification you wish to put on scope.

What is meant by 'contextualisation'?

When the Industry Skills Council develop Training Packages, they are very board to meet the different requirements of different industries.  Contextualisation is the term used to customise the units of competency/course content into your workplace context to make them more relevant to your learners.  Examples of Areas to contextualise are listed below:

  • Terminology which may be used including acronyms
  • Processes, policies and procedures
  • People who may be involved or responsible
  • Equipment / resources used ie model make number

Auditors want to see that resources are contextualised and it is good practice to state was has been contextalised in your Training and Assessment Strategy

What preparations do I need to do once I purchase resources?

You will find most publishers only design the learner and trainer manuals (course content) including assessment tools.  Your responsibility once you receive these resources is to firstly define what structure you wish to deliver the proposed course.  whether you prefer to cluster the units or deliver them separately. The auditors will expect you to also contextualise them, develop delivery plans, prepare or contextualise powerpoints, handouts, and prepare an assessment plan.  It is also recommended that you map both the learning and assessment against each unit of competency to ensure valid and sufficient resources.

Why do I need to purchase or lease resources if I am not yet an RTO?

At audit your auditor will expect that your organisation will be ready to commence delivery of training and assessment immediately following confirmation of your registration (which could be within a week of your audit).  This means you you will need to purchase or lease ALL resources required to deliver and assess, for example this could include, but not limited to:

  • All Training and Assessment tools and instruments including powerpoints, DVD’s, handouts.
  • Any equipment required to conduct the practical component of the training and assessment, for example a simulated Bar for RSA with glassware, spirits, dishwasher etc.
  • Any equipment required to conduct the theory component of the training and assessment for example whiteboards, flipcharts, markers, data projectors
  • Training room equipped with chairs and tables.  If you are trading in Victoria you are also required to have a 9B license for the building where you wish to conduct training.
Does Vivacity write the assessment tools for us?

We are happy to coach you through designing your assessments, although we do not write them on your behalf.  Should you wish to have your assessments written by a professional VET Designer, we are happy to refer you to a specialist in this area.   Please remember if you do have your assessments designed by a professional you are still required to Validate these tools.  You WILL be asked questions during audit on how you propose to assess following the rules of evidence and principles of assessment using these tools.

Who can I contact if I am unsure of what is required within the training package?

Should you have any queries regarding your training package, we at Vivacity are here to assist.  Alternatively, your Industries Skills Council will be able to assist.

What is meant by the term 'nominal hours'?

Nominal hours are set By NCVER.  They are the hours deemed necessary to cover the educational requirements to deliver and assess each unit of competency or qualification.   Most RTO’s use these hours to assist in the structural design of their course (s).  It is not necessary meet the exact hours although rule of thumb is not to go below ½.  When designing the training consider the amount of training required supervised by the trainer and unsupervised by the training (workplace learning and homework).

What is 'Training & Assessment Strategy' (TAS)?

SNR 4.2/15.2 states that the RTO must have “Strategies for training and assessment (that) meet the requirements of the relevant Training Package or VET accredited course and have been developed through effective consultation with industry”. As the standard states, this document is your “strategy” on how you intend to deliver and assess, this should include your delivery plan and how you are going to meet the needs of the community and industry.

What is assessment validation?

According to SNR 4.5/15.5 Assessment Tools are to be systematically validated, this involves assessors comparing and evaluating and reviewing their assessment process, methods and tools. The goal of assessment validation is to ensure that assessment tools provide valid, reliable and fair evidence which ensures consistency to the standards required.

Assessment validation can be carried out by assessors from within one RTO, from a number of RTOs, or from a particular industry area.

Trainers & Assessors


What experience should my Trainers have?

Your Trainers and Assessors should have a minimum of 3 years experience in their industry. They do not necessarily need experience in training, although this helps. They should also hold a minimum of Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and the qualification that you wish them to teach (ie Certificate III in Aged Care if they are going to teach this qualification)

What type of professional development can I do for my TAE qualification?

Sign up to certain associations and publications – our website will provide some preferred suggestions

  • Observe other trainers deliver training and/or assessment
  • Deliver under observation and receive peer feedback
  • Attend webinars and seminars specific to VET
  • Join a VET network


Who is ASQA?

The Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) is the national regulator for Australia’s vocational education and training sector.

ASQA regulates courses and training providers to ensure nationally approved quality standards are met.

We 100% guarantee our Policies, Procedures and documentation, if they are not compliant we will rectify the tools as part of the package “at no extra charge.”